Did you know that the month of May is National Masturbation Month? Surprising, but true! It all got started at a UN conference on AIDS in 1994, when (then) Surgeon General Dr. Joycelyn Elders was asked a question about promoting masturbation as a means of decreasing riskier behavior. She replied, “I think that it is part of human sexuality, and perhaps it should be taught.”
Well, that marked the end of Elders’ career as America’s first black Surgeon General, but what the heck – she got things started! The next year three feminist sex shops deemed May to be National Masturbation Month… 31 days of celebrating sex with yourself. May does seem like an appropriate month. Just about everything is blooming and bursting around that time!
Fact: almost everyone masturbates, but few of us are willing to admit that we enjoy this simple pleasure. The taboo against masturbation in our society has its roots in historical misconceptions that survive to the present day. Here’s a paternalistic example: it’s wasteful since men only have so much sperm, and it could damage a woman’s reproductive capability. Wouldn’t want to put a damper on women’s ability to generate more chattel property in the form of offspring, now would we…
Most men and women today are perfectly aware that masturbation isn’t a degenerate act. But many are still constrained by the idea that it’s a selfish, immature activity, or a second-rate substitute for sex with a partner. Interesting how the pursuit of pure pleasure is considered selfish and childish. Guess I’ll never grow up!
Masturbation is much more than a substitute for partner sex. Masturbation is our first sexual activity, a completely natural source of pleasurethat’s available to us throughout our lives – a form of creative self-expression. Each time you masturbate, you’re celebrating your sexuality and your innate capacity for pleasure, so give yourself a helping hand! Still need encouragement? Read on!
- Because masturbation is immensely pleasurable, invigorating, rejuvenating and fun.
- Because sexual pleasure is each person’s birthright.
- Because masturbation is the ultimate safe sex.
- Because masturbation is a joyous expression of self love.
- Because masturbation offers numerous health benefits including menstrual cramp relief, stress reduction, endorphin release, stronger pelvic muscles, reduction of prostate gland infection for men and resistance to yeast infections for women.
- Because masturbation is an excellent cardiovascular workout.
- Because each person can be their own best lover.
- Because masturbation with a partner can be educational and oh so hot!
- Because masturbation increases sexual awareness.
Heartfelt thanks to Good Vibrations for this post’s information and for leading the charge in designating the merry month of May as National Masturbation Month!
For more tips, tools and resources to deepen intimacy, sensual pleasure and sexual excitement, please visit Bring Back Desire – we carry everything a gal needs to get out of her head and back into bed.